I woke up feeling really lousy today. Don't really know why, but that happens to me sometimes. It's a day when I feel like my brain is mixed up or something. When a day like this happens I want to just stand in the middle of the room and scream. Or go and punch someone in the nose, or kick something or just do something that I wish would fix how I feel. I feel like crying but that never helps, it just gives you a headache, makes your nose run, and doesn't help at all. It wouldn't help, I know that, but it's hard not to think that it would. So I wanted to tell someone, which led me to write it on my blog. It's funny, but when I feel this way, it brings up the strangest thoughts. Well not strange, but just so random, hard not to wonder where they are coming from.
First, one reason I feel this way is having had a bad haircut yesterday. Why does stupid hair make any difference in the great grand scheme of things. I guess it's because I have to look at myself in the mirror every time I go into the bathroom. Maybe I should close my eyes when I go there.
Just a bit about the haircut. My hair was too long, and it looked and felt awful. I went swimming and made it look even worse, and the wind didn't help. I needed a haircut, so better get one, right. My dear sweet Mel, who always did my hair great, has moved and almost a year later I still haven't found anyone to replace her. So I have been doing the walk-in thing, and haven't done too badly. So - the place I went last didn't have anyone free and I was in no mood to wait. So go to the next place at the Co-op mall where they take walk-ins. Well I just hate it when the "hairdresser" wants you to tell her exactly how much to take off of every place on your head. I don't know, I didn't bring my ruler - how are you supposed to answer that. I had found a magazine article which showed different hair styles and told you what to ask for, and any place would know what you want. Yea! Right! So she starts cutting and by the time she wants to know how much to cut on the top, my answer is, "I am afraid to say, since the sides and back are way shorter than I said". I said just do what you have to do to blend it and make is the same. I wish I had saved the $33.60, and had Sam use his clippers. Probably would be about the same. Yes, that is how much it cost. Because she had cut and styled it. The styling was her trying to move this short hair around enough for it to look good. I stopped her after 2 min. of this fingering the hair here and there. No need for brush, curling iron or anything else, that would have only verified the fact that there was no hair there to work with. Oh well, my hair grows fast. Shouldn't need a haircut for months this time, and swimming won't affect it at all.
So feeling this way made me think of a man I worked with years ago at a place called Unidynamics. We made missile component parts, and I worked in the purchasing dept. (by the way, this was the biggest place I ever worked - most employees.) I had lots of experiences at this place and think I might refer to it more than once so will put the name as one of my labels. But I digress.
This man was such a nice person, great sense of humor, and very nice to work with. He wouldn't hurt a flee. But once in awhile he would stop at the desk of us girls on his way out for the day, and say "I've had a bad day - I think I'll go home and kick the hamster." That would just crack me up, he was so cute.
Funny when thinking about that (yes, I would kick a hamster if I had one) it made me think of that job. That was without a doubt the most fun job I ever had. We worked hard, and did lots of work, but we joked around and played tricks on each other and just enjoyed our days. There were days when I was leaving work my jaws actually ached I had laughed and smiled so much. It was such a fun job. And that make me think about the great friends I had working there. Of all the jobs I have had in my life, and there were many of them, that is the only place where I still have contact with the people I worked with. My friends Pat Quartier, and Nancy Foye are still friends today. I talked with Nancy this week, and I email with Pat all the time. And I always see them when I am in Phoenix. I found that really interesting. I worked with lots of people I really liked and spent time with away from work, but only those two remain friends today. I am grateful for that. Makes me wonder what the difference was. I am sure it was because we spent way more time together and they were there for me through some of my hardest trials, and I love them, and they are great friends.
Well I actually feel better, and the hamster is grateful.
\
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Mom, that was really great and I really hope you do that more when you are having a lousy day. Sure gave Greg and I a good laugh. Please promise you will do that more. Love you
ReplyDeleteJessie, you are a great reader! Heather just sent me this link. now i'll have to back track and read all your entries. I hope you are feeling better. writing is such good therapy. i hope you continue to post. I love you and miss you!
ReplyDeleteLove it Jessie. Have been thinking of you often. I had some fresh raspberries for breakfast this morning and went for a trip to the farm in my mind for a few minutes. Hope to make a real trip sometime.
ReplyDeleteLove ya
Charelle