OK, so today I have to can the peaches. No problem, I've done this who knows how many times. Haven't done it for the past three years by the way, I always seem to miss buying the peaches (Oh darn it). So since I was silly enough to buy the peaches I can't just let them rot now can I.
OK, so lets get this job done. I find I can't remember how to even do it. So I search for my canning book. Oh yea, I gave that to Heather, why would I need it, I know how to can. Well if you look hard enough at this house, there will always be another book that tells you how to can.
OK, so I have to start by blanching and peeling the peaches. Now where is that blanching basket. It has to be here someplace. Finally find it in the basement. At this point let me point out that with my bad knees I try to limit my trips down to the basement, it really wears me out. I also have the problem that I frequently forget why I am down there, and I also have a bad habit of seeing something else down there that needs to be done, and then doing that instead of what I went for. (They say this is an old age thing.) Anyway, I find the basket and even think ahead enough to take 7 jars upstairs at the same time. I don't have a full case of peaches so will probably only get on canner load, ie 7 jars.
OK, so the peaches are now done, blanching and peeling and cutting that is. Next step - find the canner. Well here it is, even upstairs. Fill it with water, and remember it has a small hole in the bottom, but I will just have to remember to check it frequently to make sure it has enough water. I can do that.
OK, I have to make the syrup. I need sugar. Go upstairs, which is the same distance as having to go down to the basement. What do you know, we are out of sugar, luckily there is a new bag you guessed it, down in the basement. So down two sets of stairs to basement and find sugar. Its heavy, but I can get it back upstairs. So while the syrup comes to a boil, I will have a rest.
OK, now it is time to get peaches in the jars, fill with syrup, and get into the canner. We won't even talk about having to locate all the measuring cups, jar lifter, lids and rings. Luckily all of those things were in the room where I am doing the canning, just not where they are easy to find. Funny how those things get into the back of a drawer if you don't use them, but I digress.
OK, so this first batch is in the canner. Lucky me, there are enough peaches to make a second batch. Did I mention that the jars are in the basement? So, another trip down get the jars, don't get sidetracked, and I am back and get the second batch ready to go into the canner.
OK, so I am done, the peaches look really nice, and I am proud of myself. Never mind the hours all this took. I am deeply grateful that I wasn't trying to keep three children under control at the same time, as was the case when I did all those millions of jars in my former life. I am also grateful that Sam saw I was canning and was so grateful that he fixed his own supper and hightailed it back to the field.
Note to self: Be sure to read this blog next year before I am silly enough to buy some peaches, or buy a new canner.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Good post mom. I don't know how you did it when we were small except to stay up all night. Bless you for it.
ReplyDelete